we are LvnWell.com
Your Subtitle text
MOLD!

We're not just talking about the green stuff you see growing on bread or cheese.  Mold can be a very serious health risk, especially in areas of humidity like South Carolina.  Most people, myself included, never give it a second thought.  It is an extremely common finding affecting patients' health and efforts to eradicate exposure are absolutely necessary for those seeking optimal health.  Most of my patients have asked, "where in the world would I get that?"  My answer ... anywhere there is or was moisture.  This could be from a plumbing problem, a leaking roof, HVAC problems, basement, crawl space, bathroom, or laundry room.  If you don't run your air conditioning, there is moisture in the air.  If you have a basement without a de-humidifier, you have moisture problems.  Mold can be trapped or hidden under carpet, wallpaper, in walls, wood furniture, or even bedding.

The more common molds are aspergillus, cladosporium, stachybotyrs, and penicillium.  These molds give off tiny spores that can get into your body via the lungs.  Once in the body they can set up house.  If allowed to set up housekeeping,  mold seems to trap other bugs.  What does this mean?  It means if you get a viral, bacterial, or parasitic infection they can be trapped by the mold in the body ... and the body never fully recovers.  Have you ever gotten a cold that it feels like you keep forever?  And even when you no longer have mucous or coughing, you are still tired.  It never feels like your energy comes back to its full extent.  Symptoms from mold exposure include but are not limited to headaches, muscle stiffness, digestive disorders, diarrhea, skin, nail, and cornea infections, depression, memory problems (in the elderly and immune-challenged, this can look severe), mood changes, nausea, shortness of breath, asthma, cold and flu-like symptoms, endocrine system problems (i.e. reproductive problems), sinusitis, and cancers particularly related to the kidney and liver.  Studies show that one in three people are affected by mold.  I believe that all people are affected, but in different ways.  Some people's immune systems start showing symptoms immediately, while others bury it and one day they wake up with cancer and have no idea to what it's related.

How can you protect yourself?
  • Reduce the humidity in your house below 45.  Purchase hygrometers and check the humidity all over the house.
  • If you have a basement, purchase a de-humidifier.
  • Dry and treat water damage as quickly as possible, but at least within 48 hours.
  • Use air purifiers to reduce air pollutants including mold spores.
  • Any porous materials such as wood, fabric, cushions, and mattresses that have had water damage are contaminated.  They should be trashed.  
  • Air systems in houses and cars should be checked regularly for leaks and mold production.
Any efforts made to reduce exposure will be to your health benefit.  Remember, it is never just one thing that leads to an unhealthy body.  It is usually a culmination.  If you believe your house has water damage or you can smell mold and can't locate it, it may be best to hire an expert mold remediator.  The American Industrial Hygiene Association is a good source of information.  If you do find mold, be careful how you dispose of it.  Chlorine does not kill mold because it is made up of mostly water that feeds mold.  Vinegar is actually a better killer as it kills up to 82% of mold.  If you are cleaning up an area of mold it is best to take all precautions by wearing a mask that filters mold spores, gloves, and eye protection.

We recommend and use a high quality product from AirWise.  Living Well is now an authorized dealer and we can pass along greatly reduced pricing!

We use Nutrition Response Testing™ to help you move out the mold along with the critters it has trapped in your body.

PLEASE safely and effectively eliminate your mold exposure to help you start living well.
 
NOW SERVING YOU IN TWO LOCATIONS IN THE UPSTATE!

CLICK to RETURN to ARTICLES